I find it rather ironic that Su Ann would have this question in her latest entry. I was just thinking the same thing. Why was I thinking the same thing? Look, if I knew the reasons to everything that run through my head, I would be mentally dead by now. Already trying to figure the answers out to the current issues makes my brain pretty tired, imagine having to figure out the whys behind them as well.
Anyway, back to the question. Su Ann posted some pros and cons. But I think I'm more pro than con. Of course, we're all a little afraid that things would never go back to normality should one have dated their best friend and things not work out....but I sincerely believe that it may take time, but at the end of the day, whether the friendship can still last really is up to the 2 persons involved. Sometimes we hold back so much and not risk anything. It just doesnt make sense to me actually. I suppose if 2 persons are truly friends (as they claim to be), they would be able to discuss these things together. I mean isn't honesty really one of the key fundamentals in any solid friendship? It doesn't take 2 parties to like each other to cause a confusion in the friendship. What if one party has a thought that it might work? I think that is enough torture to the friendship and will definitely have some form of effects.
To me, the sticky situation arises is when the girl has the feelings but has no clue whether the guy has any at all. Ironic enough, this month's CLEO mag has an article about this and how does one test whether he has any interest in pursuing more than what the 2 already share. Didn't read the whole article. Was busy looking at pictures of clothes =P Amazing how this topic is so hot at the moment.
Back to the original sticky situation. I believe I am rather conservative when it comes to the whole guy girl thing. I don't believe in equal rights. I believe men were created to be and do certain things in life as that for women. So in the sense of a relationship, I always believe the guy should make the first move. So for women like me, erm....having feelings for your best friend isn't the most pleasant of life's experiences. Hmmmm.....in such a scenario, I would just discard any thought or feeling or any anything of that sort to imply such a thing away. I won't even entertain it. Cos there will be no happy end to it. Best to leave it till when the guy says something. And if he never does, at least I would have wasted my time waiting for someone who never appreciated me that way. And if he does, best to test him too cos God knows why he suddenly woke up one day having feelings for you, right?
There was another negative point about familiarity breeds contempt. Well, guess this is a sooner or later thing so better face it now than later. About the boring bit.....hahaha....well I suppose the reason why 2 persons can still maintain such a great friendship would signify they do have stuff to babble about so I am not worried a bit. Life is a never ending chat topic.
So what do you think? Ever fell in love with your best friend? Ever confessed to your best friend before and lived to regret it or actually felt relieved cos you finally had the guts to do it and had certainty? Tell me. I am curious.
7 comments:
even if i did, i wouldn't tell you.
scared telling you secrets. lol.
tmy
hmmm.... have not fallen for my "best friend".. but was in a relationship with a good friend when was pretty young... and though the relationship did not work out but we are still friends very much in touch...
Truly agree that the first move comes from the men...
haha.. tho i nvr fall for a best friend b4.. i'll do exActly wat u'll do =P cuz ya, firm believer of guys making the 1st move first. It's an unwritten rule la, lol!
nice post =)
but what if the guy is so dense? you know how some guys are? would that "encourage" you to confess to the guy?
haha! I think there's nothing wrong bout girls making d 1st move la...
But personally, maybe im weird =P.. I'll NVR confess to a guy.. Dense or not, it wud be nice to know that d guy finds me special without me telling him to notice me first..
Hi Grace, Susanna Khoo here... I found your blog through a link on Meng Hong's.
Yeah, these are questions that I have considered before, time & time again. I guess I still don't have very good answers.
One thing I do agree with you, though, is the part about the guy making the first move. It drives me nuts though, because it doesn't give me much I can do when I find myself in such situations.
Post a Comment