Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Home Experience

PwC has this "Community Outreach Program" (COP) which is basically allowing their staff to help out at underprivileged kids homes for a week or two. This week I've been assigned to one of the homes.
Last year, I was also involved in this programme but a different home. I had a blast last year with the boys at the home.
Difference with the home this year as compared to the prior year is that this home has more kids. Actually 38 kids in total. I arrived there slightly before 9am each morning to prepare for the lessons and we begin sharp at 9am. My mornings are actually relatively ok compared to my afternoon class. In the first session in the morning, I teach 3 Std 3 kids - Samuel, Jennifer and Moses. On the first day, when I called Samuel his name, I felt like I was calling "Samuel Chummy" from church. At 11am, they get ready for school and I start teaching an 11 years old girl, Nisha and a 3 years old boy, Philip. Yes, 3 years old. First day, it was difficult to handle a restless 3 years old and an eager 11 years old. But yesterday was better.
After my lunch break, my headache starts. I have a class of 8 kids - Paul, Grace and Ruben are Std 1, Rina, Simon and Victor are in Std 2 and then there's Christina and Sarah in Std 3. Teaching them individually is not a tough job. Teaching them together at the same time is rather a challenge.
Guess the greatest challenge is helping them through their studies as they are all at different levels. And the saddest thing, it's difficult to give personal attention to them as there is only 3 of us teachers.
At the end of Monday, Tiffany (another PwC workmate) and I, separately went to purchase books and stationary for the kids.
I am not stupid. I know being there for a week won't bring much change but I am determined to do what I can.
Through this last 2 days, I'm reminded of how beautiful my childhood was. And when I think about how some of us can be so demanding of our parents, we forget that there are many kids out there who come from dysfunctional homes and are sent to these homes and have such a slim chance of a good future.
I see how the kids try so hard to get my attention. They gloat at every opportunity to outdo each other. They seem so demotivated to study cos they know they will never be the top students. Don't get me wrong. They're not stupid or anything of that sort. In fact some of them are rather brilliant but lacking in the resources, not to mention the love and care from parents.

Just the other day, mum was mentioning about a bunch of kids who were real rascals in church and denoted that the reason behind their misbehaviour is due to the absence of a father figure. So never underestimate the importance of having good role models around. Also never to have children when you are not financially capable. It just makes things worst. Causes more arguments, creates an unwholesome family environment.

Wow....I sound like I have experience. I'm not expert. But guess I've noticed a thing or two from the two homes I've been to.

So exhausted. Strange I think I rather do audit than teach so many kids at one time. Don't seem to be achieving the progress I want to with the kids.

Did my christmas list last night. It's gonna be Christmas soon. Cool!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hmm u ought to stay on in the COP 2 weeks and forget about Glaxo!!